Saturday, July 16, 2005

Suchiapa Music



Click here to see the video

Video iPod ready

This is a clip from a project I'm working on, a documentary about the Corpus Cristi fiesta in Suchiapa Mexico. I have hours of tape of the fiesta, the dances and processions. This year I started interviewing people: participants, maskmakers, dancers, musicians, etc. I'm going to intercut the interviews with the fiesta footage to give it more context, explain the meaning of the symbolism, etc.

I was at my friend Mariano's house interviewing him. He's a maskmaker that makes many of the masks used in the fiesta. While I was there his two sons (also maskmakers) asked if I wanted to shoot them playing the traditional music. I have about an hour's worth of them playing. This is traditional music played on pre-Hispanic instruments (just a flute and a drum, both homemade). It is meant to be processional music and so it's a little out of context here, but I thought I'd post it anyway to let viewers see something different. I'll probably be using this mostly as a soundtrack over other footage.

I'll be posting something from Mariano's interview as soon as I finish the subtitles. I'll also be posting clips of the dances and processions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home