Sunday, August 07, 2005

UNAM



Click here to see the video

UNAM is the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico. It's the oldest university in the Americas (founded 1551) and the largest in Latin America (290,000 students if you include all of it's campuses). The main campus is the Ciudad Universitaria (University City) which is in the southern part of Mexico City, and it is enormous. It was built in the 1950's and has some spectacular buildings.

My daughter Helena wants to go there, so as part of our trip we visited the campus. The first building you see is the ten story high central library. It's covered in a mural designed by Juan O'Gorman. The other large building with huge sculptures is the administration building. The long sculpture that you see attached to the administration building (the one in the thumbnail) is by David Siquieros. There are also shots of the sculpture garden in front of the MUCA (Museo de Ciencias y Artes).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love " LA UNAM".

1:59 AM CDT  
Blogger Jack said...

Thanks Davo. I've got two more videos to upload from our trip. One about Xochimilco and a quicky shot from the Torre Latinoamericano. Stay tuned...

5:02 PM CDT  
Blogger Jack said...

Hey Dennis,

Are you the Mexican Movies guy? I was going to try to contact you when I was in DF, but we didn't have much time. Maybe we should plan a vlogercue (or should it be vlogercoa). Do you know of any other vlogers in Mexico? Any Mexican ones?

Jack

11:17 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey:

I just found your blog and went through some of the videos about Mexico City you've posted. I never thought I'd be able to look at my city through a foreigners eyes. You made me think about all the things I just take for granted when I walking down the street. It's just nice to see someone alse's point of view, for we mexicans often forget what we have.

Olvidamos lo que tenemos, pues estamos concentrados en detestar al sistema y vivir a una velocidad impresionante; a veces es triste.

I watched your UNAM videos. I actually study English Literature in the Facultad de FilosofĂ­a y Letras and I just couldn't help but smile.

See you around someday.
Mucho gusto...

2:08 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home