Saturday, October 29, 2005

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead, Todos Santos) in Xoxocotlan



Click here to see the video


This is my second post for Halloween Vlogfest 2005. This is from about 4 years ago. I did a Day of the Dead tour for seven years; five years in Oaxaca and two years here in Chiapas. This footage was shot in the cemetary in Xoxocotlan which is a Zapotec Indian neighborhood on the edge of Oaxaca City. It has a 16th century ruined church right in the middle of the cemetary, in fact there are people buried inside the ruins of the church. It is one of the most beautiful places to see Dia de los Muertos in Mexico. It's a very peaceful setting, people are busy cleaning and decorating the graves. It has a very hushed, sort of reverant feeling about it. One of the things I love about Dia de los Muertos is that it is different in every single graveyard or home that it is celebrated in. It can be peaceful, sad, joyous, drunken, whatever; the whole range of emotions.

By the way, Dia de los Muertos is celebrated in Xoxocotlan on October 31.

Music is by Lila Downs: Yunu Yucu Ninu from the album Yuta Tata, Arbol de la Vida

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like your videos, i wanted to tell you that i reposted some of them on videofuntime.com
its kind of like a fan zine for video on the web, anyway check it out.

12:41 PM CST  
Blogger Jack said...

David,

Glad you like the videos. I had not heard of videofuntime before. I was afraid that it might be one of those sites using other peoples work to cash in on ads, but it doesn't seem to be that at all. I see that they link to the original file instead of copying the original to their site. I like that. I can keep track of how many people are watching. I posted this video last night at 11:30 Central and as of 6:30 PM today it already has 96 views! That's a lot for me. Not sure how many came from videofuntime, how many from blip or how many from my blog.

6:41 PM CST  
Blogger Jack said...

Glad you liked it! Looks like this is a pretty popular video: cross posted to at least two sites so far!

12:34 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This video is really amazing. I especially liked the setting. The ruins add up to the mood of the whole short clip. I hope you make more of this kind of video and take us to other places like this one.

3:04 AM CST  
Blogger Jack said...

Thanks wong. It is an amazing setting. The ruins definitely add to the atmosphere as do all of the candles and flowers. It's a special place.

12:27 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home